Welcome to the homepage for information about Yarnton Football Club.
Yarnton Football Club was formed in 1947. In 1953/54 they joined the Witney & District Football Assoication where they stayed until withdrawing from Division 1 in 1958 - after winning promotion as runnders-up of Division 2 in 1957/58. They rejoined in Division 2 for the 1959/60 season before joining for a longer period between 1963/64 and 1970/71. A 'reserve' team rejoined in 1972/73 and the first team was back in 1973/74 until 1979/80.
They currently play at the Littlemarsh Ground in Green Lane (see key A in map below), but have played at at least four other grounds. Before moving the current site in the early 1990's, they played at the playing fields in Rutten Lane (B) - known as Yarnton Park. This site was purchased from the council and used for football from 1958 and is still used by the youth football club Yarnton Blues.
At least three other sites have been used by Yarnton FC. They had a ground located on Cassington Road, opposite the entrance to the then Wessex Electricity Board site - so the pitch would have been located near to where the entrance to Great Close Road is now (C).
They have also played slightly further up the Cassington Road on a field located behind a bungalow which was situated near the new mini-roundabout at the site of the Industrial Eastate. The pitch would have been behind the nearby large barn which is still present today (D).
A pitch was also located behind Windmill Farm - the very last group of buildings on the left of Cassington Road as you leave the village heading towards Cassington. At the time Windmill Farm was run by Mannie Hastings and was known locally as Hastings' Farm (E). Some people have mentioned them playing behind the old Red Lion in Cassington Road, but this may have been an alternate way of accessing the Windmill Farm site.